H1Z1‘s development has been a bit of a mixed bag. Originally intended as a singular entity, it eventually split it into two separate games – Just Survive and H1Z1: King of the Kill. While Just Survive has been met with staunch criticism, King of The Kill, later renamed as H1Z1, has fared better over the years. H1Z1‘s mixed reception has been just enough to motivate Daybreak to go full force with their newest major update, which includes a HUD revamp, tactical deployment, and the Auto Royale game mode.
Anthony Castoro, H1Z1’s General Manager spoke about the game’s new vision. “In 2016, we did something unheard of – we split a successful game into two products and introduced the world to the first standalone battle royale game. The next year, we created the first battle royale esports league and became the second esport to ever air on broadcast television. This year, we continue to push this young genre forward with the introduction of Auto Royale. Auto Royale doesn’t rinse and repeat what is currently available on the market, it turns the genre on its head with a fresh approach – arcadey, vehicle-only battle royale unlike anything anyone has experienced before“.
Auto Royale is Battle Royale on wheels. Featuring up to thirty teams of four, players team up in vehicles until the last four wheeler is left standing. The map will be filled with boosts, ramps, fuel, health, and power-ups to take advantage of. Auto Royale introduces two new vehicles to the game: An armored recon vehicle and sedan. Auto Royale also contains new vehicle abilities/mechanics such as oil slicks, corrosive smoke, land mines, and more.
This update also features the following update aside from Auto Royale:
- Tactical Deployment – You can choose which area to parachute into at the start of the map
- Airdrop Revamp – Airdrop system has been refined to increase drop frequency and item value
- Season 1 – The first official in-game season starts with a new scoring algorithm designed to reward consistency and aggression
- Mini Map – A mini-map can be now be turned on while navigating the world
- Founder’s Items – Early Access consumers receive a special in-game shirt
- And More