You should already know what our games of the year are and now we know just what games the finest folks in the industry liked most last year too at this year’s 15th annual Game Developers Conference.
A lot of indie love characterized this year’s conference, with Ustwo’s mobile darling Monument Valley took home three prizes, for best visual art, the innovation award, and best handheld/mobile game. The Game of the Year award however, went to Monolith’s Productions’ Shadow of Mordor which we were rather fond of too.
Wizardry designer Brenda Romero took home an Ambassador Award and the annual Pioneer Award went to Dave Braben. Final Fantasy creator, Hironobu Sakaguchi, meanwhile, took home a Lifetime Achievement Award as was announced last month.
The full list of game winners can be found below.
• Best Technology: Destiny
• Best Audio: Alien: Isolation
• Best Narrative: Kentucky Route Zero
• Best Visual Art: Monument Valley
• Best Handheld/Mobile Game: Monument Valley
Best Game Design: Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
• Best Debut: The Banner Saga
Innovation Award: Monument Valley
• Audience Award: Elite: Dangerous
• Game of the Year: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
Before the Choice Awards, Capybara Games president Nathan Vella took the stage for the second year in a row to hand out the separate Independent Game Festival awards, including This War of Mine – a game we thought very highly of ourselves.
• Excellence In Visual Art: Metamorphabet
• Excellence In Audio: Ephemerid
• Excellence In Design: Outer Wilds
• Excellence In Narrative: 80 Days
• Nuovo Award: Tetrageddon Games
• Best Student Game: Close Your
• Audience Award: This War of Mine
• Seumas McNally Grand Prize: Outer Wilds
Via Gematsu & Game Informer