Kite, a retro-futuristic shooter from developers Lab Cat Games, has exited Steam Early Access and fully launched on the storefront. Developed by Lab Cat Games, Kite is squarely aimed at fans of the golden age of 16-bit arcade shooters who fondly remember classics such as Zombie Ate My Neighbors and Smash TV. You can watch the trailer for the game above.
James Treneman, the chief developer and founder at the studio, spoke about the game leaving Steam Early Access, saying:
“There are so many sources of inspiration for Kite – mostly my arcade days when ‘arcade perfect’ really meant something. Arcade games taught me that nailing the ‘easy to learn, but difficult to master’ mechanic is everything in a fast-paced game like Kite. Although complex systems are layered on top, the core gameplay is quite simple – really no different from the original twin-stick shooter Robotron 2084.”
The game is set to have a number of key features, including:
- Smash and explode your way through destructible pixel art environments.
- Craft 100+ items and weapons with help from rescued scientists.
- Customize your Droid by investing levels in a massive 76-point skill tree.
- Enhance your battlefield prowess with a vast array of upgrades and special powers.
- Push forward with character-driven plot and in-game cinematics.
- Activate Hardcore mode with permadeath for the ultimate challenge.
- Unlock all 20 Steam achievement.
- Enjoy an all-original synth-wave soundtrack as premium DLC.
Players can use 100+ craftable weapons and items to enhance your battle Droid. Bring your combat capabilities to the next level by learning skills from a vast 76-point skill tree. Power up a slew of upgrades and special abilities – providing all the tools necessary to kite enemies into oblivion. Kite is now available on Steam for $7.99 – 20% off retail (Windows only). The game will return to its original price of $9.99 on March 15. The soundtrack is available as DLC for only $2.00.
Source: Lab Cat Games Press Release.