Evolution 2020 (or better known as EVO 2020), has been officially canceled tonight, as per a statement released on Twitter. Originally, the event was to take place during the first weekend of August. It’s meant to be a gathering of the best fighting game players in the world meeting at Mandalay Bay, in Las Vegas.
Featuring eight of the currently active fighting games, and a special event, EVO 2020 looked to outdo itself in terms of presentation and spectacle. Unfortunately, current world circumstances have completely derailed those plans. With the entire world on edge about COVID-19, event organizers and hosts have had to cancel various events.
EVO’s Been Canceled, So What Now?
EVO 2020 being canceled is a shame, true. As per a series of tweets, organizers have said two crucial pieces of information in conjunction with the cancelations. The first major bit of information would be that everyone that paid for tickets to EVO 2020 would have their ticket and reservations refunded quickly.
The second major information dump is that they’re planning to bring the event online. Online seems to quickly be the new standard, with how things are. That said, online is not exactly the best option for players, but it’s what they have to work with. Further still, for this to go smoothly, players will have to have rather good internet connections.
You can read the statement regarding the status of EVO 2020, the refunds, and the announcement of the online format below:
A message from the Evo team… pic.twitter.com/ANXUXDiNGK
— EVO (@EVO) May 1, 2020
EVO 2020 is scheduled to be active during August. You can visit their official website here.
What do you think about EVO 2020 being canceled? Are you planning to participate in the online event? Do you want to hear more information first? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below.
We’ve previously covered events that have been created due to the coronavirus. You can read about one such event here.