Crunchyroll is one of the world’s leading anime brands. They are most known for their popular anime streaming service/website with more than 1,000 titles and 30,000 episodes currently available to their viewership. This week, Crunchyroll announced their first inaugural slate of original anime series coming to the site.
The eight series announced will span action, adventure, fantasy, historical fiction, and more. These span from the efforts of studios such as MAPPA, and from Crunchyroll Studios to continue to satisfy and expand fans worldwide.
The originals also include the highly anticipated anime adaptation of SIU’s WEBTOON series, Tower of God. It is being produced by Telecom Animation Film and is set premiere on Crunchyroll April 1, 2020.
“Since our launch in 2006, Crunchyroll has been at the forefront of anime fandom and a driving force in the popularizing of this beloved genre worldwide,” says general manager at Crunchyroll Joanne Waage. “These stories range from the traditional to the innovative, blending eastern and western ideas within the spectrum of anime.”
This inaugural slate was brought to us based on years of viewership data and connection to its fan base. For even more information, checks out the full anime slate below as well as the info trailer for its eight new originals.
- “In/Spectre” – In this Crunchyroll Original, supernatural romance mixes with an enthralling, fantastical mystery, as a duo sets out to solve a series of dark incidents plaguing their world. Airing now on Crunchyroll.
- “Tower of God” – A Crunchyroll and WEBTOON Production, based on the comic series “Tower of God” created by SIU and published by WEBTOON, this dark fantasy action series centers on the journey of a young man as he battles his way through the mysterious Tower, building friendships, discovering the rules that govern this TowerTower, and facing unimaginable terrors, as he strives to find the only friend he’s ever known. Animation produced by TELECOM ANIMATION FILM. Production Management provided by SOLA ENTERTAINMENT. Coming to Crunchyroll spring 2020.
- “Onyx Equinox” – In this Crunchyroll Studios Production created by Sofia Alexander, a young Aztec boy is saved from death by the gods and chosen to act as ‘humanity’s champion,’ forced to discard his apathy toward his fellow man and prove humanity’s potential in a fight that spans across fantastical-yet-authentic Mesoamerican cultures. Premieres summer 2020 on Crunchyroll.
- “The God of High School” – A Crunchyroll Original, based on the comic series “The God of High School” created by Yongje Park and published by WEBTOON, this action-packed series follows a high schooler and his friends as they compete in an epic tournament, borrowing power directly from the gods and uncovering a mysterious organization along the way… With the promise of their heart’s deepest desires, motivating their tournament victory. Animation produced by MAPPA. Production Management provided by SOLA ENTERTAINMENT. Coming soon on Crunchyroll.
- “Noblesse” – A Crunchyroll and WEBTOON Production, based on the comic series “Noblesse” from Jeho Son and Kwangsu Lee and published by WEBTOON, this fantasy follows a powerful vampire noble who is thrown into modern civilization after 820 years of slumber. Dangerous adventures with his new friends await as they combat a secret organization and uncover his past. Animation produced by Production I.G. Coming soon on Crunchyroll.
- “Meiji Gekken: Sword & Gun (Working title)” – Japan, 1870. We follow an ensemble of characters – a former samurai, a yakuza bodyguard, a devious spy, and a geisha assassin – as they try to find their place in the rapidly evolving Meiji-era while escaping the sins of their pasts…Inspired by historical events. A Crunchyroll Studios Production. Coming soon on Crunchyroll.
- “FreakAngels” – After civilization comes to a sudden and crashing end, twelve 23-year-old psychics living in the rubble of London must check their wild impulses and discover their better angels in order to rebuild society. A Crunchyroll Studios Production based on the graphic novels by Warren Ellis & Paul Duffield. Coming soon on Crunchyroll.
- “High Guardian Spice” – In this Crunchyroll Studios production created by Raye Rodriguez, four fierce girls train to become great heroes at High Guardian Academy, where they form allegiances, uncover betrayals, and discover their true identities, while preparing to protect the world from an ominous unknown threat. Coming soon on Crunchyroll.
You may have seen some of Crunchyroll’s shows, such as The Rising of the Shield Hero, A Place Further Than the Universe, The Junji Ito Collection, and more. If these new originals are even close to one of these in terms of quality, we’ll surely have a good season ahead of us.
Crunchyroll Originals will be available to fans internationally on Crunchyroll with “In/Spectre” airing right now, with the other originals set to premiere throughout the year.
Are you excited for the new originals coming? Will you watch them? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below.